Burtonwood High School

 Alumni News


11/20/2017 Wayne C. Pittman Jr.  Class of 1955 


Wayne left Burtonwood in 1953 to attend Staunton Military Academy, along with his brother, James.

Wayne was in the first class at the U.S. Air Force Academy.





PITTMAN, Jr., Colonel Wayne C. Age 78, passed away on October 1, 2015. A gathering will be held at Newcomer Funeral Home, Beavercreek Chapel, on Friday, October 23, 2015 from 4:00pm-5:00pm with a memorial service at 5:00pm. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Hospice of Dayton. More information about Colonel Pittman may be found at www.NewcomerDayton.com
Published in Dayton Daily News on Oct. 21, 2015


Colonel Wayne C Pittman,  Jr.1937 - 2015

Wayne and wife, Karen, retired to Dayton, Ohio in 1989 following 34 years of service in The United States Air Force. He was in the first graduating class of The United States Air Force Academy. During their years in Dayton, they became involved in many aviation activities including volunteering with the Wright B Flyer Association, The National Museum of The United States Air Force, Wright State University Special Collections and Archives, Aviation Trail, 2003 Committee, and the Archives at Carillon Park. While he was at The National Museum of The United States Air Force he was involved in the first WWI Fly-in. Wayne was the founder of the B-52 Stratofortress Association. A gathering will be held at Newcomer Funeral Home, Beavercreek Chapel, on Friday, October 23, 2015 from 4:00pm-5:00pm with a memorial service at 5:00pm


Wayne C. Pittman , Jr.
Date of birth: 16-Mar-37

Wayne Pittman graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs.

Silver Star
Awarded for actions during the Vietnam War

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 8, 1918 (amended by act of July 25, 1963), takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Captain Wayne C. Pittman, Jr. (AFSN: 0-55581), United States Air Force, for gallantry in connection with military operations against an opposing armed force as Navigator Systems Operator in Southeast Asia on 17 June 1968. On that date, Captain Pittman flew an unarmed reconnaissance aircraft deep into hostile territory to obtain vital intelligence data. Despite intense and accurate anti-aircraft and automatic weapons fire which damaged his aircraft, he completed his mission completely disregarding his own personal safety. The information gained through his courageous act contributed directly and materially to the allied intelligence collection effort in Southeast Asia. By his gallantry and devotion to duty, Captain Pittman has reflected great credit upon himself and the United States Air Force.

General Orders: Headquarters, 7th Air Force, Special Order G-2683 (August 29, 1968)
Action Date: 17-Jun-68
Service: Air Force
Rank: Captain

Thanks to Earl Mahoney for providing information about Col. Pittman



3/31/2017  Bruce White (husband of Jackie (Woodward) White BHS 1959


Bruce was a US Air Force airman who was stationed at Burtonwood where he and Jackie met and were later married.




Bruce Quinton White Sr.

October 28, 1937 - February 7, 2017 WHITE – Bruce Quinton White, Sr. was born in Memphis, TN on October 28, 1937 and slipped the bonds of earth on February 7, 2017 in Social Circle, GA. A Memorial Service will be held at 3 PM on Saturday, February 11, 2017 in the Monroe Chapel of Tim Stewart Funeral Home in Monroe, GA. A Celebration of Life Service will be held at a later date in Gulf Shores, AL. Bruce served in the United States Air Force after attending Auburn University. He started his career with the DeKalb County Police Department, and worked in the Insurance Industry for 30+ years prior to establishing Whitehaven Insurance Group, Inc. in Gulf Shores, AL. Bruce was a member of St. Anna's Catholic Church in Monroe and was preceded in death by his parents, Berlyn A. White and Martha Ann Eastwood. Bruce is survived by his loving wife of 58 years, Jacqueline L. White; Children: Bruce Q. White, Jr. & Angela of Foley, AL; Robert N. White & Leetha of Monroe; Debra D. Gibson & Joe of Foley AL; Grandchildren: Crystal Marie & Doug Sizemore of Gulf Shores, AL; Matthew A. White & Blair of Foley, AL; Michael Lance Alexander & Brittney of Foley, AL; Great-Grandchildren: Jackson Lawrence White of Foley, AL; Priscilla Kennedy Alexander of Foley, AL; Jake Alexander Sizemore of Gulf Shores, AL; Half-Brothers: Fred N. Eastwood of Bay Minette, AL; Tom Eastwood of FL; Berlyn "Sonny" White, Jr. of Memphis, TN; Half-Sisters: Patricia White and Elizabeth White of Memphis, TN; Aunt: Doris Ryan of Collierville, TN; Uncle: Silas Quinton White, Sr. of Collierville, TN; Numerous Brothers-in-law, Sisters-in-law, Nieces, Nephews and Cousins. In lieu of flowers, the family request that memorials are made to The Miracle League of Coastal Alabama, 1545 Gulf Shores Parkway Box 159, Gulf Shores, AL 36542 or St. Jude Children's Research Hospital , 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105. The family will receive friends from 1 – 3 PM on Saturday, February 11, 2017 at the Tim Stewart Funeral Home, 209 South Hammond Drive, Monroe, GA 30655. 770-267-2594. Please sign the online guest registry at www.stewartfh.com


12/30/2016  Barbara "Barbie" (Kirk) Bauman BHS 1961




                                                                              Barbie Kirk-BHS-1958 Freshman




In Memory of
Barbara Ellen Bauman
May 28, 1943 - December 14, 2016


Barbara Ellen "Barbie" Bauman passed from this life on the morning of December 14th, 2016 at Riverside's Community Hospital. Born in St. Louis, Missouri, May 28th, 1943 to Howard and Margaret Kirk, Barbie graduated from San Bernardino's Pacific High School in 1961 and worked for Allstate Insurance Company where she was first introduced to Ronnie Bauman - her beloved partner in life who she married in 1969.

Apart from child-raising and later multi-tasking at the Bauman family business, Barbie excelled artistically at ceramics and easel painting. Barbie was a generous giver - particularly of love. She loved animals more than most, but she loved people most of all. With abounding motherly love, she was "Mom", even to kids other than her own.

Barbie's parents Howard and Margaret Kirk; brother Bill Kirk and first-born daughter Janet Barnes have preceded her in passing. Barbie is survived by her husband Ronnie Bauman and sister Susette Willhite. She is also survived by her daughter Sherri Barnes, bonus-children Rodney and Diana Bauman who've also called her "Mom", granddaughter Tawny Cothran, grandson Rory Bauman and six-year-old great granddaughter Ruby Cothran who've all called her "Grandma Barbie."

Funeral arrangements have been made through Acheson and Graham Garden of Prayer. Services for Barbie will be held on Saturday, January 7th, 2017 at 10:00 AM, with reception to follow at Canyon Crest Country Club.





From Vicki Ahlemann:

I will always remember her smile, laugh, bouncing perfect pony tail, and cheerleading with her.   Our hearts are sad, but our memories are strong.

 Vicki and Larry




5/24/2016  Kenneth Nuttall - BHS Teacher 1949-'59


On train to Lake Como, Italy on BHS trip


         Ken and Carole Wedin (Eidsvoog) '58 share a laugh at Vegas reunion





NUTTALL Kenneth -On 24th May, 2016, Ken, aged 89 years of Heligan House, Cornwall (formerly of Garswood, Wigan) Beloved husband of Mona. Funeral Service to be held at Glynn Valley Crematorium, Bodmin, Cornwall on Tuesday, 7th June, 2016 at 12.30pm. All enquiries to Co-op Funeralcare, 39 Victoria Road, St Austell, Cornwall PL25 4QF Telephone: 01726 73708

Read more at: http://announce.jpress.co.uk/wigantodaynet/obituary/kenneth-nuttall/47137397




From Earl Mahoney:

Yesterday I learned that an old friend and teacher had passed away in England, after a period of failing health. Ken Nuttall was a British national who was a teacher at Burtonwood High School, an American high school at RAF Burtonwood Air Base outside of Warrington, England. Ken was my teacher from 1953 until 1955, my year of graduation. For me and many of those who came before and after my time there, Ken was our Mr. Chips. He was our teacher, our mentor, our adviser, and our friend. He taught us about other cultures, other customs, took us on trips to other countries and showed us a world outside of our own. For many of us who grew up as "Third Culture Kids" overseas, he remained an important link in our lives. He was visited in England by former students returning to England as visitors and he came to the U.S. several times, with his wife, for reunions with his old students. One reunion, held in Las Vegas, was held in his honor. His passing is a sad event for those of us who knew him, admired him, and had such special regard for him. "Goodbye, Mr. Chips, we will remember you."


From:  Charles Heaton ‘Chuck’ Allen
Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
Burtonwood ‘56-‘59 (graduated ‘60 @ Warner Robins, Georgia)


...upon reading Vicki’s note about our ‘greatest teacher ever’ passing. Very sad.

I’ve had some mighty fine teachers/professors in my life, but I do believe he was the best one ever. What a fine gentleman and dedicated-to-his-students teacher! I taught for twenty-eight years and never had the ability he had to truly ‘communicate’ what he was trying to get us to learn as quickly as possible. I’ve received many compliments for my teaching through the years, but I know in my heart that I was only a fraction as good as Kenneth Nuttall. He made wonderful contributions to England - and America, as well.

Bon voyage & R.I.P., K N



  1/31/2016  Mary Lou (Kulas) Persons - BHS 1958


 OBITUARY:  Dec. 24, 1940 — Oct. 23, 2015

Mary Lou Kulas Persons died unexpectedly on Friday, Oct. 23, 2015. She was 74 and had been a resident of Davis, California for more than 50 years. 

Mary Lou was born in Davenport, Iowa, on Dec. 24, 1940, to Frank and Eleanor Kulas. She grew up an Air Force brat and lived in a number of places around the country and the world. She spoke especially fondly of her time in the Philippines and in England after World War II. 

She received a bachelor’s degree in anthropology from Sacramento State University as well as teaching and librarian credentials. She worked for several years in the Davis, Woodland, Sacramento, and Fairfield area schools as a teacher, librarian, and aide. 

Mary Lou’s life was centered on the care and well-being of her children and grandchildren. She was always there for her family and was a source of great strength and comfort to everyone. She was selfless and generous beyond measure.

She also had a passion for helping the under-privileged, for books, politics, cats, crafts, and dark chocolate. She kept up on current events and was always ready to help educate the “less informed” around her. 

The Davis Senior Center was a source of great pleasure where she met many friends and participated in group trips. A recent cruise to Alaska proved a real highlight.

Mary Lou will be greatly missed by her children Mark (and Gretchen) Persons, Lisa (and Jim) DeSanti of Davis, and Lori (and Bob) Castanon of Galt; grandchildren Brittany and Courtney Persons, Stephanie DeSanti, Christina Nadeau, Joseph Nadeau, Nathan Castanon, Jessica Barnes and Christopher Castanon; brother, Dr. Robert (and Olive) Kulas of Napa; nephews John and Thomas Kulas; and beloved cat, Kitty. 

A private service for family members is planned.

7/15/2015  Ellen (Herndon  -BHS '59) Groot


Mrs. Ellen Herndon Groot, 73, passed away after a brief illness on Friday, April 17, 2015 surrounded by family. She was born October 3, 1941 in Russellville, KY, the youngest daughter of the late Grover C. and Minerva McCraw Herndon.

Ellen earned her BA degree from Peabody College in education for the blind. She substitute taught for many years in Buena Vista, VA where she also attended Christ Episcopal Church. She lived an almost minimalist lifestyle and believed in giving to and helping others on a personal level. She was known for giving her sour dough bread and aloe plants to others, just to let them know she was thinking of them. Ellen was gracious, kind, and was very accepting of others. She loved music, enjoyed playing guitar, was an avid traveler, enjoyed walking and taking care of her health. Ellen was a devoted wife, loving mother, and doting grandmother.

Survivors of Ellen include her daughters and sons-in-law, Stefanie Groot and Eric Cottrell of Charlotte, NC; Donna Groot Taylor and Mark of Gastonia; beloved grandchildren who called her "Lolly" - Anna Cottrell, Miranda Cottrell, Emma Taylor, Fiona Cottrell, and Andrew Taylor; brother and sister-in-law, Thomas C. and Ruth Herndon of Augusta, GA; sisters, Minerva Van Wagner of Greenville, NC; Cynthia Beard of Paducah, KY; Fann Lewis of Lexington, KY; Thetus Smith of Anchorage, AK; sisters-in-law, Helen Ann Borchardt and husband Marvin of Corpus Christi, TX; Mildred Herndon of Russellville, KY; numerous nieces and nephews.

In addition to her parents, Ellen was preceded in death by her husband of 42 years, Roger Douglas Groot; her son, Michael Andrew Groot; and her brothers, Grover Mac Herndon and George Herndon.

A service to celebrate Ellen's life will be held privately for the family.

9/25/2013 George Wilson '59


8/10/2013 Bobby Waynn Morgan '58

Bobby Morgan died July 16, 2014 in Sugarland, Texas.




Dear Burtonwooders

No-one loved BHS more than Bobby Morgan. We saw him for the first time since knowing him a wee bit in England when we attended the Dallas reunion in 1999. Of course, that fantastic assembly of old Blue Devils was possible only due to the tremendous work by Larry and Vicki...but Bob's spirit was just tremendous. He wasn't the only one filled with gratitude and joy at being able to gather so many of us who had known Lancashire so well, but Bobby was simply ebullient in his happiness. We shared his celebratory mood again at Jerry Garza's home in San Antonio and in Las Vegas...when we joyously were with our beloved Ken Nuttall again!...and one more time in Dallas, I believe. Others of us have been with him more often than I, whichmeans you were more fortunate than this overweight guy. His health had been an issue for several years, but not his love for BHS...and all of us who have our lives stamped by its influences.

Fly high and straight, Dear Bob.   And pat that big 'B' on your chest as you wing it wherever you wish.


Charles Heaton 'Chuck' Allen

Hot Springs Village, Arkansas




I met Bob in late 1954 or very early 1955 when he first arrived in Burtonwood. I was finishing up my Senior Year and he was a Freshman. The first time I saw him, I had just walked into the Youth Center and there was Bob, solo dancing on the small, raised stage to "Earth Angel" by the Penquins. Wow, he loved that song and that boy really loved to dance. After graduation, we took a trip to Belgium and then on to Paris and Bob liked to hang out with us four graduates, who were, of course, older and very sophisticated (or so we thought!) I left Burtonwood in July of 1955 and it wasn't until the Burtonwood Alumni group really got going that I heard from Bob. Out of the blue, I got a call one day and it was Bob, so excited and happy about the group and that he was able to contact old friends. We stayed in contact and saw each other at the Las Vegas and Dallas-Ft. Worth reunions. As his health started failing, we remained in contact and eventually tried to stay in touch via Alicia, his lovely wife. When she contacted me that he had passed away, my thought was "Bob was a good guy and I am glad that I knew him." We will miss him.


Earl Mahoney
Class of 1955

7/22/2013 John McCormick '60

We recently learned that John McCormick '60 died May 21, 2011 of a heart attack.
John had been living in Metairie, Louisiana (a New Orleans suburb)

 and had dealt with health problems for a long time, mostly from diabetes.
As per his wishes he was cremated and his ashes scattered at sea by his son, Jim.

We are awaiting further info from Jim.


4/4/2013 Jane Elder (Hawkins) Pulley



March 16, 1929 – February 15, 2013

Jane Pulley, 83, passed away Friday, February 15, 2013, at Hospice Brazos Valley in Bryan, Texas.

She was born in Evanston, Illinois and moved from neighboring Wilmette to Dime Box, Texas in 1937. Her family lived briefly in Marlin and Waco before settling in Brownsville, where her army doctor father, Winfred Hawkins, was head of the hospital at Fort Brown. When he was sent overseas during World War II, her mother, Beatrice, also a physician continued her pediatrics practice but also kept his allergy practice going until he returned.

Jane graduated from Brownsville High School in 1945. She attended Texas State College for Women, Southwestern, and the University of Texas, getting her BA in 1950. She taught math and science in Brownsville and Alice, Texas, and then attended Oklahoma State University, where she received her MS degree in a National Science Foundation program for high school science teachers. She taught at an Air Force high school in England and then came home to marry Paul Eugene (Gene) Pulley in 1958. She continued to teach in Stillwater, Oklahoma, DeSoto, Kansas, and finally for 13 years at A&M Consolidated High School in College Station, Texas. She established the Science Fair program there, with A&M Consolidated winning "Best in Region" for many years and Jane accompanying students to 5 International Science and Engineering Fairs.

Jane helped organize a girls' softball league in College Station, and the Jane Pulley Softball Fields at Bee Creek Park were named in her honor for her work as "a community leader for girls' activities in the city." She was a Red Cross Water Safety Instructor for over 50 years, teaching everywhere she lived. She taught at Adamson Pool as a volunteer for many summers.

She was an active adult with Girl Scouts for over 45 years, receiving many awards from the Bluebonnet Council, including Thanks Badges I and II, honors reserved for those whose contributions to Girl Scouting are truly exceptional. She was very involved with Howdy Day Camp since 1975, having been Director 7 times. She was best remembered for her song leading, and the main campfire area at Camp Howdy was named "Jane's Singing Circle" in her honor. She also helped create the Foxfire program there, preserving and teaching pioneer skills and crafts. She was honored as a Woman of Distinction in 1998, an award to recognize good role models in their communities. Her son is an Eagle Scout, the highest award in Boy Scouting, and both daughters and three of her granddaughters earned their First Class or Gold Award, the highest achievement in Girl Scouting.

Jane was active in many areas at A&M United Methodist Church since moving to College Station in 1967. She taught 8th grade Sunday school there for 33 years and most recently enjoyed leading songs for the preschoolers. She was a longtime member of the chancel choir and was an active member of the Brazos Valley Emmaus Community. She also participated with the Maroon and White Corps of the Wesley Foundation for over 20 years.

A breast cancer survivor, Jane was an enthusiastic volunteer for the American Cancer Society's Reach to Recovery program, helping others cope with the physical and emotional challenges of breast cancer diagnosis and treatment. She was also known to many as Witch Pulley or Mrs. Wizard, performing "science magic" for schools, Scouts, and churches, a tradition carried on by her daughter, a science teacher herself. She also delighted in making appearances as Mrs. Santa at schools or at other Christmas events.

Jane was preceded in death by her parents, Winfred Weeden and Beatrice Henrietta Weil Hawkins; her brother, Donald Winfred Hawkins; and her husband of 47 years, Paul Eugene Pulley, Jr.

Survivors include her son, Paul Winfred Pulley and wife Tina of Round Rock, Texas; daughter, Janene Elizabeth and husband Bruce Fowler of Oak Ridge North, Texas; and daughter, Emily Ann Pulley of New York City and College Station.

Surviving granddaughters are Marissa Janelle, Louisa Elizabeth, and Rebecca Annelyse Pulley of Round Rock and Kasey Jane and Lori Elizabeth Fowler of Oak Ridge North, Texas.

The family will greet visitors on Thursday, February 21, from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Memorial Funeral Chapel of College Station, 2901 Texas Avenue South.

A memorial celebration of Jane's life will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 7, at A&M United Methodist Church, 417 University Drive in College Station.

A scholarship in honor of Jane's legacy of service is being established with the College Station ISD Education Foundation for active Girl Scouts graduating from A&M Consolidated High School. Donations may be made to that endowment or to her favorite charities, including Habitat for Humanity or Heifer International.

Published in The Bryan-College Station Eagle from February 18 to February 19, 20



3/29/2013  Letter from Ken Nuttall:

18 March 2013

Dear Vicki and Larry,

It’s several weeks since we received your letter and once again I must apologize for my tardiness in replying.  The trouble has been that both Mona and I have had so many appointments to see the doctor and nurse for various things, none of which have apparently been serious, although a darned nuisance.  Now, however, we have no one to see us for over two weeks so we leave tomorrow for a couple of weeks in Portugal.

We hope to have better weather than there has been in Britain since November, with icy winds, very heavy rains that have buffetted us to the extent that no longer can Americans call us “the unsinkable island” that they used to call us, and unexpected and heavy falls of snow. Everywhere was flooded with the worst floods for fifty years or more.  Except this part of Cornwall!  It has been cold here, but we have had little frost and our corner has kept us warmer throughout the winter.

I suppose you will be going to the meeting in Texas (referring to August 2013 Reunion in Florida) in summer, but although we shall gather all your news we shall have to say “hulloh” from four thousand miles.  Please give them all our best wishes.

With love from

Ken and Mona


2/2/2013 George & Lin Wilson

50th Wedding Anniversary February 14, 2013


Harlem Globetrotter Flight Time Lang poses for a photo with George and Lin Wilson. Their first date as a married couple was to a Globetrotter game in 1963. Photos By Steve Gooch, The Oklahoman



The Oklahoman, February 2, 2013

Couple celebrate anniversary in Oklahoma City with the Globetrotters
George and Lin Wilson went to a Globetrotters game just days after being married in 1963.


George and Lin Wilson spent their first date after getting married on Valentine’s Day in 1963 at a Harlem Globetrotters game.This year the couple will do the same for their 50th anniversary, but they got to have lunch with a Globetrotter player first.
The Wilsons ate lunch at Zio’s in Bricktown on Friday with Flight Time Lang, who plays for the Globetrotters and who was a popular contestant on “The Amazing Race.” The player’s visit was a surprise for Lin Wilson that her husband helped arrange.
“It’s a beautiful thing that they’ve been together for this long,” Lang said. “Fifty years later, I’m honored to be invited to surprise them. I’ve heard that they haven’t been to a Globetrotters game since they got married so we’ve got to put on a good show for them.”
The Globetrotters will play at Chesapeake Energy Arena at 2 and 7 p.m. on Feb. 9.

click on these links for story and video:








 9/8/2012 Marcus "Mark" Woodward '59


  Marcus P. Woodward, Jr.

July 10,1941 - September 8, 2012

Mark Woodward of Midlothian, TX, age 71, went to be with his Lord and Savior on September 8, 2012 surrounded by his family in the peacefulness of his home. He had bravely battled cancer for years with his loving wife by his side every step of the way.  Mark was born in San Antonio on July 10, 1941 to Marcus and Jackie Woodward.  Mark and Trina were married in Valparaiso, Florida on August 25, 1962.  They began their family there and moved to Dallas in 1968.  Mark began a long career in telecommunications in the early 70’s and although his work often took him far from home, his heart remained with his wife and three children.  He is survived by his wife, Trina Woodward, children, David S. Woodward, Douglas S. Woodward and wife, London and Courtney Brasfield and husband, Marty, grandchildren, Jared, Aubrey, Brooke and John Woodward and Tyler and Justin Brasfield, siblings, Jackie White and husband, Bruce, Rose Ann Guillory, John Woodward and wife, Pam and Larry Woodward and wife, Amy and numerous nieces and nephews.  Mark was a devoted husband and father and he worked tirelessly through the years to provide for his family’s needs.  He enjoyed traveling, studying history, singing and observing nature.  He will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved him.

Visitation will be 6-8 p.m. on Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at Midlothian Funeral Home and services will be at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at Oak Crest Baptist Church.

 For anyone wishing to leave a message  there is a guestbook  at   http://midlothianfh.com



8/26/2012 Wayne Morris '59


Darrell Wayne Morris

June 26, 1941 - August 24, 2012



   I am sorry to report that Wayne Morris passed away from a heart attack on Friday night, August 24, 2012, in Corpus Christi, TX, where he was temporarily managing a Montana Mike's Steakhouse.  There will be a memorial service on Wednesday, August 29, at 2:00 PM at the First Baptist Church, 325 S. Gabriel St., in Bertram, TX, where he and his wife, Winnette, have owned a home and lived for several years.  Winnette is the mayor of Bertram!  Burtonwooders residing in the area are welcome to attend.  I have spoken with Jerry Garza and he and Louis Berger are planning to attend, as will I. 
   Many of you know that Wayne and I were married at the end of our junior year at Burtonwood. He entered the Air Force here in San Antonio.  We were married for 12 years, had two children, Wayne Jr. (wife Beth) and Kathy Sue (husband Charlie Valdez), and were divorced in 1970. Wayne Jr has one teen-age son, Kyle, and they all live in the San Antonio area.   From what I understand, Wayne had wished to be cremated and his ashes interred in a military cemetery and these arrangements are being made for some time in the future.  (As you all are probably aware, the sheer numbers of deceased military retirees, veterans, and warriors has caused consderable strain and back-log on the federal cemetery system.)  Wayne and Winnette's data is current in the Burtonwood Directory and I am sure Winnette would be happy to receive remembrances and condolences from Burtonwood alums.     
Sincerely,  Pat (Tague) Nichols 


Darrell Wayne Morris, age 71, of Bertram, Texas passed away on August 24, 2012. He was born in Montgomery, Alabama on June 26,1941, the son of Guy and Lucille Morris. 

He is survived by his wife Winnette Morris of Bertram, Texas, mother Lucille and step-father Floyd Thompson of San Antonio, Texas, son Wayne Morris and daughter Kathy Valdez, both of San Antonio, Texas , son Donald Morris of Lewisville, Texas, two grandchildren Donald Morris , Jr. of Lewisville and Kyle Morris of San Antonio, Texas, two step daughters Michelle Hilgendorf of Krum, TX., Stefani Fletcher of Copperas Cove, Texas, three step sons Darrell Fournier of Grand Prairie, Texas, Ron Fournier of Killeen, Texas , Todd Fournier of Rowlett, Texas, sister Candy Morris of Florida, brothers Jim Morris residing abroad and Tom Morris and Jerry Morris of Florida.

Memorial services will be Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at 2:00 p.m. at the First Baptist Church in Bertram, Texas.

Condolences may be made at www.clementswilcoxburnet.com



5/20/012  Mr. Jack L. Richardson

Carol Richardson Mitchell informed us that her father, Jack L. Richardson,

died of cancer on January 17, 2011 at the age of 87 years 5 months.

Mr. Richardson was assistant principal at BHS



5/11//2012 Robert P. (Bob) Howard '61

Robert P. Howard - July 24, 1943 - June 20, 2011


Bob Howard, age 67, passed away Thursday, June 30 after a short battle with lung cancer. Robert Patrick Howard was born on July 24, 1943 in Hempstead, New York to Robert and June (Conour) Howard. He graduated from Wasson High School in Colorado Springs in 1961, where he was a captain on the football and baseball teams, Athlete of the Year for 1961, and chosen to the 1960 Sporting News All-American High School Football Team. He is a member of the Wasson Athletic Hall of Fame. After graduation, he turned down an appointment to the U.S. Air Force Academy to attend Stanford University with a football scholarship. At Stanford, he was a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity and a three-year letterman in football. He was selected to the first defensive unit on the 1964 A.P. All-Pacific-Coast Team and received Honorable Mention honors on the 1964 AP All-America Team as a defensive end. Before graduating in the Spring of 1965, he was picked in the 10th round of the American Football League draft by the Kansas City Chiefs and the 17th round of the National Football League draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers. He was signed by Kansas City but was unable to pursue his professional career due to injuries. Bob married his high school sweetheart, Sandra Jean Totten, on September 4, 1965 in Colorado Springs and then entered Officer Training School for the Air Force in January of 1966. He served 8 years, with overseas assignments at Kadena Air Force Base in Okinawa and Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany. He was honorably discharged in 1973 having attained the rank of captain. Bob settled near San Francisco where he began a successful career as a stockbroker. He returned to Colorado with his family in 1980 and later took a disablility retirement in 1990. He is survived by his wife, Sandy; his twin sons, Casey and Scott; his daughter, Kelly De Pasquale (Jake); his granddaughters, Marissa Healey and Taylor Howard; his mother, June; his sister, Jean Gillette; and his brothers, Russell and Dan. Bob was preceded in death by his father Robert J. Howard. Bob was a loving father and devoted husband admired by many. A private family Celebration of Life was held.

Published in The Colorado Springs Gazette on July 5, 2011


Jessie Lee (Woodward) Gatlin '60 


Jessie Lee Gatlin  - Dec 23, 1942 - Mar 15, 2012

Jessie Gatlin, age 69 of Dorcas, Fl.  went to be with her Lord and Savior on Thursday, March 15, 2012, at Santa Rosa Medical Center.  She was born on December 23, 1942, to Marcus Woodward, Sr. and Jackie Woodward.  She has lived in the Dorcas community for many years.  Jessie was a member of the Dorcas Baptist Church. She loved to sew, loved making crafts, but most of all she loved children.  She was a loving wife, mother, and grandmother.  Jessie was preceded in death by her parents, and a brother Raymond Woodward.
Survivors include her husband of 50 years, Terrell Gatlin of Dorcas, her children: Julie Lawlor and her husband Jim of Pensacola, Fl., Terry Gatlin and his wife Lori of Dorcas, FL, Tami Crabtree of Laurel Hill, Fl, Cheryl Westbrook and her husband Mark of Dorcas, FL and Ricky Gatlin and his wife Ashlee of Dorcas, Fl.  Also surviving are her brothers: Marcus, John, and Larry Woodward, and sisters:  Jackie White and Rose Ann Guillory.  Brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law:  Joe and Joan Gatlin and Kay and Mike Hollinhead of Dorcas, Fl.  Jessie also leaves behind 13 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren.
A time of visitation with the family will be held on Saturday, March 17, 2012, at Whitehurst-Powell Funeral Home from 6:00 p.m. till 8:00 p.m.  The celebration of Jessie’s life will be held on Sunday, March 18, 2012, at 2:00 p.m. at Dorcas Baptist Church with burial to follow in the Dorcas Baptist Church Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Dorcas Baptist Church Cemetery Fund.
Arrangements are entrusted to Whitehurst Powell Funeral Home in Crestview.  Guest book and condolences are available online at www.whitehurstpowellfuneralhome.com




Thomas (Tom) Lamb '57

We received this message from Tony Lamb '60:


My older brother Thomas (Tom) Lamb went to Burtonwood in the 57/58 school year. He was just there to take one class so he could get enough credits to graduate. He was a senior at Wiesbaden, Germany in the 56/57 school year. He dated Dixie Strange. I'm sure some of our classmates remember him.

Tom passed away from cancer about 9:00am Tuesday, August 23, 2011 in Long Beach, CA.



Mike Carey '59


At left, Mike and 5 year old adopted daughter, Kaitlyn Rose.


Major Mike Carey, USMC (Retired). Mike enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1959, and was commissioned in 1965. He served in various intelligence, reconnaissance, infantry and training assignments, including three combat tours in Vietnam. He retired in November 1979. In October 1987, Mike and his wife, Christine, landed in Guam with two backpacks and a camera bag. They had never been there before, didn't know a soul, didn't have jobs. High adventure for newlyweds.

After a stint as a sports reporter for KUAM-TV, Mike managed a wholesaler's warehouse, served on the executive management teams of the prison and the police department, managed a solid waste hauling operation, served as a prison chaplain and trainer with Prison Fellowship International, and, in 1996, was ordained an Episcopal priest. The couple lived in three different villages, lived aboard their 36 foot sailboat for four years, and eventually bought a condominium near the University of Guam .

Mike was reassigned to the Hawaiian Diocese in December 2000, where he struggled as a parish priest. "I really liked working with prisoners . . . they're a lot like Marines . . . but, those little blue-haired church ladies are scary!" After a long, discouraging year, Mike left the ministry and took a job as a tactical shooting instructor in Bremerton, Washington .
The former Chief of Guam Police called in late 2002 and persuaded Mike to return as Operations Officer for the Transportation Security Administration at Guam International Airport.  With impeccable timing, he arrived just in time for a major typhoon. Christine and Murphy, her adopted Pit Bull Terrier, joined him the following year.

After three years as a federal employee, it was time for a change. "The feds pay well, but there's not a whole lotta joy in it!" Mike secured his Real Estate license in November 2003 and left TSA in April 2004. He and Martin Howard teamed up to form GuamPCS.com in October 2005. "Between us, we've made dozens of military PCS moves. We've both been there, done it, and got the T-shirts . . . helping military families get settled on Guam should be as normal as breathing!" Mike also serves on the Guam Parole Board and enjoys scuba diving, hiking, backpacking and foreign travel. He is a self-proclaimed mid-sixties health nut who refuses to grow up.


Ellen (Herndon) Groot '59 and Susette (Willhite) Kirk '58


I recently had a WONDERFUL trip.  I live in VA but went with my sister-in-law from TX to Washington state, with an overnight in LA.  Susette (Kirk) Willhite met the bus (from the airport), had dinner with us & visited until 10pm.  How wonderful do you think that was -- a miracle via the internet!  We hadn't seen each other since '58.  I'm still on cloud 9.  Hope all are well. 


  This is the only picture of our meeting as we were so excited, I guess we just forgot and are lucky to have this one. Ellen was on a tour to the Seattle area that started in LA and we met at a Chinese restaurant in Downtown LA for several hours. We've talked on the phone ever since she was "found" many years ago through her brother. Luckily brothers' names don't change so it was the only way some of us were lucky enough to be found.  





Susan (Braudt) Harriss

Experiencing Vietnam and Cambodia

March 17 – April 7, 2011

Susan Braudt Harriss


       I have wondered for sometime what it would be like to visit Vietnam and Cambodia. But first let me tell you something about myself.  As a young 2nd Lt. in 1968/69 I was assigned to a base in northern Thailand as a USAF Intelligence Officer during the height of the Vietnam War (the Vietnamese refer to it as the “American War”). The aircraft from our base flew missions over Vietnam. Having participated in that war and knowing of the destruction that took place as a result of that conflict I was concerned about how an American would be received in Vietnam today.  To my relief, most of the Vietnamese have “moved on” and do not hold grudges against Americans. This attitude is partially due to the fact that a majority of the population was born after the end of the war. It was a great trip and I am so glad that I had the chance to witness a very vibrant country recovering from a devastating war. Many Vietnam Veterans have returned to visit the country. However, some are still so scarred by their experiences that they cannot or will not return to a place that reminds them of so much pain. For others it is cathartic to return and come away with a sense of relief. I have to admit that being in Vietnam caused a lot of memory cells to reawaken and remember things that have not been thought of in many, many years.

          The trip was a tour run by Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT). They specialize in small groups. Our group consisted of 16 seasoned travelers ready to take on most any challenge. One of the first challenges was learning how to survive crossing a street where thousands of motorbikes just wheeze by swerving to avoid hitting pedestrians. New roads, new bridges, and many new buildings create a sense of optimism about the future of Vietnam. Foreign manufacturers have established many factories and hire a well-educated work force. Education has always been held in high regard in Vietnam and remains so today. Many nations have contributed to the rebuilding of Vietnam and also assisted with humanitarian relief. A Canadian contribution is a trade school for children born with defects caused by Agent Orange. We saw fabulous embroidery pictures, lacquer ware, pottery, sculpting, and woodwork created by the students.

          Our tour took us to Halong Bay, which is a United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage Site. There we went for a ride on a junk through scenic karst formations jutting out of the sea. Another experience was walking through a typical Red River delta village and for those brave enough try our hand at making rice paper (for making Spring rolls) and drinking homemade rice wine.

The cities of Hue and Hoi An were very interesting experiences. Hue was the old Imperial capital and within the Citadel of Hue is the site of the Imperial City. The Imperial City was very much like the Forbidden City in Beijing. Much of the complex, however, was damaged or destroyed during the Indochina War (1940’s) and the “American War.”  Restoration is taking place to restore some of the buildings to their original grandeur. Hoi An is a very old city with many cultural influences. Tailor shops abound and suits, dresses, etc can be made in a day for a customer. 

Everywhere that we went there were markets that have all kinds of food and goods. Today 70% of the population is still farming and they bring in fresh fruits, vegetables, and animals to the markets. It finally dawned on me that there are few if any grocery stores as we know them. People still go to the market every day to purchase fresh items for their meals. The markets are vibrant, colorful places of activity.  If you want fish for dinner just pick one of the live critters out of a tub and you have fresh fish. Butchers ply their trade in the open-air markets as well.  Plus, if you want really fresh buy a chicken or duck and dispatch it yourself. Very few homes have refrigeration, which is another reason for the markets.

Names from the Vietnam War still ring in my ear as we go through Danang and stop by China Beach, which was an R&R spot for GI’s during the war. Nothing is left of the R&R facilities now but the beach is still there. A place like Nha Trang, which may sound familiar to some, is a lovely beach town with about a 5-mile beachfront park. Nha Trang boasts many luxury resort areas in the nearby islands that are frequented by people of many nationalities.

One of the surprises was the Cham ruins a UNESCO World Heritage Site at My Son. This was an ancient Indianized civilization that built large temples to their Hindu gods. Unfortunately, time and war have ravaged the site. Most of the buildings have been destroyed or badly damaged. The Viet Cong camped at the site and US forces heavily bombed it. The area still has unexploded landmines and visitors are cautioned to stay on the trails. The Cham are important to remember because they come up again on the tour to Cambodia. I find it interesting that in our education system very little or nothing is said about some of the great civilizations of the world. Who taught us about the Cham in Vietnam or the Khmer civilizations in Cambodia? These were fantastic builders, sculptors, planners, and warriors.

Dalat is a real pleasure. It is located in the central highlands of Vietnam. The French developed this area during the French Colonial days as a resort, which provided a respite from the heat of the lowlands. Coffee is grown in this mountainous area and we just happen to be there when the coffee plants were in full bloom with beautiful white flowers. By the way, Vietnamese coffee is very good. They have also developed a large hothouse industry and export vegetables and flowers. The central market is a colorful palate of the flowers grown in Dalat.

Saigon has a population of about 8 million people and growing. As happens in many agrarian societies when better paying jobs become available in the cities people move to the cities. Transportation has made it easier to move around. Five years ago the cities were jammed with bicycle traffic. Now motorbikes rule the road carrying unimaginable loads and up to 4 people at a time. One of the side trips that we took was to the Cu Chi Tunnels outside Saigon. The tunnels were used by the Viet Cong to hide from the Allied Forces during the war. It is estimated that there are 125 miles of tunnels in the area. The tunnels were first started during the Indochina War against the French. US bombers hit the complex hard and bomb craters and shrapnel can still be seen. It has been turned into a tourist spot. Now you can now go into a small section of the tunnels and experience what it was like for the men and women who lived in them. And yes, I did squeeze down into a couple of the tunnels. I’m not that big but even for me it was tight traversing through a tunnel from one room to another. One cannot stand up and you have to walk in a hunched position or on hands and knees. The bats are friendly though.

I took a little trip down memory lane while in Saigon. In the fall of 1968 I was TDY for a few days in Saigon. One of my memories was going to the roof top bar at the Rex Hotel. The hotel and roof top bar is still there although much has changed in 43 years. No longer can you look out and see the flash of artillery fire on the outskirts of the city or feel the earth shake from bombs being dropped by B-52’s. Thank goodness!

A funny thing happened on the way to Siem Reap, Cambodia. While in the Tan Son Nhat Airport in Saigon waiting for our flight I met a retired Air Force pilot who had been stationed at the same base I had been at in Thailand and had been there at approximately the same time. Even more interesting was that he flew RF-4 reconnaissance missions, which means that I probably ended up looking at some of the photos that his aircraft took. 

Cambodia is both incredibly exciting and incredibly sad. The sad part is seeing what a demented leader can do to a country. I am referring to Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge who between 1975 and 1979 decimated the population of any intellectuals or anyone who resisted the move to return everyone to an agrarian society. Even the fisherman living in the floating villages on the huge lake Tonle Sap were moved to work in the fields. Approximately a third of the population was killed. In 1979 the Vietnamese invaded Cambodia and overthrew the Khmer Rouge. Today the government is encouraging families to have children and 50% of the population is under the age of 20. As a result of so much past conflict the country still has to deal with unexploded landmines and other ordnance. There is clear evidence of the toll that these weapons are still taking on the population. People with missing limbs and scarred faces are visible in the area that we visited. Children are especially susceptible to picking up items that unknown to them could kill them.

The exciting revelation to me was the temple complexes that the kings of the Khmer civilization built between the 9th and 15th centuries. Most of the temples are just outside Siem Reap. Enormous pyramid style temples were created as places of worship to the Hindu gods. Each successive king wanted his temple to be bigger and better than the last king. The crowning effort is Angkor Wat. It is absolutely amazing to see. The size is massive, the bas-relief sculptures that go for hundreds of feet are incredible, and practically every inch of the exterior surface of the buildings are craved. The planning and forethought that went into creating such efforts was extraordinary. The written language was Sanskrit and at Angkor Wat two large libraries were built to hold the writings of the time. Remember the Cham in Vietnam? They too used Sanskrit as their written language. Over the centuries the Khmer and the Cham fought many battles each trying to claim more territory. At one time the Khmer Empire once extended from the South China Sea almost to the Bay of Bengal.

I learned many things on this trip and that is how I like for my trips to be. Learning is a habit that keeps life most interesting. This was a very interesting trip and I am glad that I took the opportunity to go exploring!




Update: Nov. 28, 2013

Charles "Chuck" Heaton Allen '59 now has a website

It is: www.charlesheatonallen.com

also listed on our Links page


Charles ("Chuck" Heaton) Allen

Nationally and internationally published books by Charles Heaton Allen ( '60):



ACE RIVALS - An award-winning novel of WWII/Korean Conflict air combat.  Available at:







(back & front cover of book)

 To view trailer of book:


The 342 page book has won the 'Teddy Award...novels division' from the Austin (Texas) Writers' League as a fine book for juveniles....though it is for ages 15 - 95.

Three different book sellers have given this WWII/Korean Confict air combat novel a ***** rating....out of ***** possible.

I was able to get in a true episode about Jay Wilcox's dad before the book went to final printing.   His dad went through a tough experience during the Chosin reservoir battle in Korea....but he was a hero and was duly recognized for his efforts during the harrowing escape from thousands of Chinese soldiers.   I believe our fellow Burtonwooder is glad those things got into the book.


Signed copies can be obtained directly from Chuck at: cjallen@suddenlink.net




Four lads grow up in western Texas.  Whooboy!

A sci-fi adventure especially for juvenile girls to enjoy.

Available at:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050CPORC 

(for Kindle edition)   (printed edition coming)

 Available at:   




To read about all the books Chuck has penned, see:   http://charlesheatonallen.tatepublishing.net/?s=&x=6&y=8 

(examine the five pages there.)





Cecilia (Hurd) Batis

About Senior Messenger:

The Senior Messenger is the 4th largest newspaper in Clark County. It is mailed free to anyone in Clark County 50 or older who requests it. Read about active adults, travel, health, education and leisure information and other matters of interest to SW Washington's senior residents. Our revenue is earned by paid advertising and donations from our generous readers.

The Senior Messenger is owned and published by the City of Vancouver, Washington

February 2010 issue

                Cecilia and Ed Batis

Valentine saga: An old love brings new life

 by Jane Elder Wulff

The air hisses and fizzes with admiration and awe when they speak of one another and the serendipity, good luck or maybe just the power of love that reunited them after 50 years. At age 66, Cecilia Batis refers to her first boyfriend and new husband “Eddie” as “My best friend; he’s gentle and kind, he’s a bit of a saint.”

Six years her senior, Ed Batis describes his wife, who is plagued with osteoarthritis as well as an artificial knee and shoulder, as “courageous and lovely.”

Newlyweds Ed and Cecilia Batis of Vancouver will tell you that sometimes an old love brings new life. With a five decade spread between their first date and their first wedding anniversary, this senior couple credits sobriety, passion and communication as the keys to their happy, healthy life together.

Love at first sight---
Cecilia Batis was an U.S. Air Force brat living with her parents near Liverpool, England when she first spotted “this handsome, young airman,” 21-year-old Ed Batis. They dated and fell in love, but Ed returned to the states nine months before Cecilia. Once back to Baltimore, Cecilia rode the train to New York, where the pretty 16-year-old found a much-changed young man. Her Eddie was “on” something and she didn’t want to live that kind of life. They parted ways but never stopped thinking about one another.

One of 11 children raised as a Catholic by a Puerto Rican family in the South Bronx, Ed was hooked on heroin for the next 14 years. Fortunately, Ed embraced recovery and has been sober and clean for the past 36 years. Impassioned to help others achieve sobriety, he has worked as a career chemical dependency counselor since 1974 and as a SOS (Secular Organizations for Sobriety) volunteer since its beginnings 20 years ago.

 Ed credits his sobriety to the SOS program, which takes a self-empowerment approach. Throughout his career and ensuing marriages and family life, Ed has launched numerous meetings for the international organization. In December 2009 he established a  weekly SOS meeting at Southwest Washington Medical Center in the Health Education Building.
It meets every Saturday at 10 a.m. and is open to the public.

Cupid reconnects the couple---

In the meantime, Cecilia was living a full life, too. She married several times, raised six children, one step-child and five of her own including one set of triplet boys. She worked from age 16 until last year at numerous jobs, including owning and operating several successful thrift/antique stores in the Spokane area. An organic gardener and environmentalist for the past 45 years, she served as a volunteer, teaching organic gardening and founding a community garden in Moses Lake, Washington.

Then, in late 2005, after a decade as a single person and living with her only daughter, son-in-law and grandchild in Marysville, Wash., Cecilia started an Internet and mail search for Ed Batis, observing, “I decided to follow my heart and see what happens.”

That mood paid off when serendipity brought them together just as Ed was exiting (literally) a second marriage based in Sandy, Ore. When they first connected on the phone Ed recalls, “It was a like a shot in the solar plexus. Oh, man, it was déjà vu all over again!”

On New Year’s Eve 2006, the day before Ed was scheduled to drive back to California, the pair met for coffee at Marie Callender’s in Federal Way, Wash. “We talked for eight hours and never ordered a thing,” recalls Cecilia with a laugh. “He called the next day and called every day for the next two years. We ended up falling in love over the telephone.”

Although she remembers thinking “this is insane,” Cecilia pulled up stakes and moved to Los Angeles where the two lived together for a year before setting up housekeeping in Las Vegas for six months. In November 2008 they fled the desert for Vancouver, renting for a period before the purchase of their home last fall. Happy to put down roots, Cecilia has embarked on a new life making a lovely home for “Eddie,” developing her beloved vegetable and flower gardens and making friends with the neighbors.

No magic pill---

Ed Batis works 35 hours a week as a staff member at ChangePoint in Beaverton, where he conducts two SOS meetings each month for clients. His commitment to developing and facilitating secular sobriety groups as an alternative to the 12-step model such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), keeps him busy and vital.

Batis suggests that no program offers a “magic pill.” However, SOS provides a place to talk about issues, look at barriers and build solutions on how to achieve sobriety.

The SOS model makes sobriety a priority, meaning people need to make staying sober a priority before they talk about the trauma in their lives. “I credit my own sobriety to this group and feel SOS can accommodate anybody,” observes Batis, who cannot imagine retiring. “It’s my passion to help people make decisions to enhance their lives.”

These days Batis wants to bring SOS to the attention of older individuals, who may be nursing addictions and don’t know where to turn. “We have a large population of elderly who are not being helped,” says Batis, who notes that most programs are geared for the midlife age group. “I wonder about the people who are suffering in silence. These are older people who are in trouble, who are often embarrassed to talk about their prescription medication abuse or drinking.”

Life’s lessons learned ---
Describing himself as a “child of adversity,” Ed believes that out of bad often comes good. As a result of this view, Ed and Cecilia refuse to lament the past. Instead, they appreciate how their new life together feels like Valentine’s, every single day.
On reconnecting in later life, Cecilia Batis observes, “We’ve made our share of mistakes, so it’s pretty much gravy now.”

Still, she adds in their mutual admiration-style, “Eddie has also worked as a domestic violence intervention counselor. What better kind of person to marry than one who teaches people how to get along in relationships?”

Ever the teacher, Ed notes that it is important to communicate about the details of life to keep love alive on a daily basis. “We’ve settled on giving one another space and we make sure we’re talking,” shares Ed Batis. “For example, when I come home at night after meetings, I need seven minutes to myself. So, we’ve made a pact, no talking until I get changed into my pajamas and settled in.”

The seven-minute plan must agree with Cecilia because she admits to being happier and having more fun now than at any other time in her life. Her advice to other seniors reflects the gratitude she and Ed feel about their second chance at first love, “Keep an open mind and an open heart and go where life leads you.”

SOS (Secular Organizations for Sobriety)  503-352-8263  503-352-8263 or  503-713-0237  503-713-0237


Jan. 13, 2009
Welcome to John B. Christofferson,
class of 1961



Louis and Jeanne Berger hosted a mini reunion at their Skyline Ranch

in the Texas Hill country near Comfort, Texas May 20-21

Click here to see photo gallery of reunion.

Trina (Bass) Klein and Ken Baumann reunited after 50 years!




Jay Wilcox has found us!

Jay was at Burtonwood from 1956 to 1959 and was a freshman in 1958.

See his message in

Memories of Burtonwood                     


May 2007

Vicki (Harrell) Ahlemann

Read Vicki's "review" of the documentary film

"Brats: Our Journey Home"

Feb. 22,  2007

Dan Zuk '60 (now Langdon) has been located
with the help of one of his classmates
 in Maine where he graduated in 1960.

December 22, 2006

Christmas at Hot Springs Village, Arkansas

L-R: Louis Berger, Larry & Vicki (Harrell) Ahlemann,  Chuck (Heaton) Allen

On Dec. 22 the Ahlemanns, Bergers and Allens had a fun evening

at the home of the Poteets who are long time friends of Bergers


August 2, 2006-  A note from John McCormick:


Just a note to let you all know that I made my summer trip. I spent an afternoon with Sharon McDermott in Monett, Missouri and an afternoon with George Wilson and wife in Oklahoma City with a bonus of seeing Stan Mortimer at George's home. Thank you all for the hospitality. I had planned to go south to San Antonio but got a call from the nursing school my traveling mate will attend for her RN, so we beat it to New Orleans to spend a couple of days with my son and his family. Hope to see you all in Dallas next August. --- John McCormick

George Wilson, John McCormick, and Stan Mortimer on July 23, 2006


May 29, 2006


Charles "Chuck" Allen  (Burtonwood ’56-’59) sang Elvis’ stuff in England as "Hound Dog" Heaton, but today he only does lip-syncing. Yet, doing that, he won a $1,500 trip-for-two to New Orleans and has entertained thousands for the last two decades by interpreting some songs of the great artists, Ray Stevens, Elvis, John Anderson, Johnny Cash and Kenny Chesney. This retired history prof/teacher and college/high school coach of baseball, basketball, bowling, football and golf has authored seven novels (Ace Rivals won an award) and two film scripts, as well as four books of short stories. Some are in Arkansas and Texas libraries under the name of Charles Heaton Allen. The University of Texas uses Buggy, Spanky & Beef Stories in its nineteen secondary charter schools. (His books are wholesome sports, outdoors, military, sci-fi adventures geared to teens, but most adults like them as well.)

Chuck has attended three Burtonwood HS reunions (Dallas, San Antonio and Las Vegas) and with Joyce – his bride of 42 years – hosted Vicki and Larry Ahlemann as well as George and Lin Wilson in their Hot Springs Village (Ark) home.

Chuck performing Ray Steven's "Mississippi squirrel"


February 28, 2006:




Journalism Hall of Fame to

welcome nine inductees

UCO will host ceremonies April 7 to honor work.

Nine Oklahoma journalists will be honored April 7 during the 36th annual induction ceremonies of the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame at the University of Central Oklahoma.

Inductees this year are KTOK News Director Jerry Bohnen, FRIDAY executive editor Vicki Clark Gourley, Oklahoma Press Association Publisher editor Jennifer Duffy Gilliland, former Tulsa Tribune publisher Jenk Jones Jr., TulsaPeople magazine publisher Jim Langdon, Tulsa World columnist Danna Sue Walker, retired Oklahoman photographer George R. Wilson, OSU Daily O’Collegian manager Fritz W. Wirt, and Tulsa World assistant news editor John V. Young.

Sponsored by the UCO Mass Communication Department, the program will begin at 11:30 a.m. in the ballroom at the University Center in Edmond.

Tickets are available for $15 until March 31 by calling Sherry Sump at 974-5303.

Honorees are selected by a committee composed of members of the working press, Society of Professional Journalists and the Hall of Fame. Nomination forms are available from the Mass Communication Department.

Framed citations are on display in a Hall of Fame in the UCO Journalism Building. UCO Mass Communication is administrator of the hall and the Oklahoma Newspaper Foundation helped finance it. The Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation helps underwrite expenses for the ceremony.

Jerry Bohnen is news director of KTOK radio, Oklahoma News Network and Clear Channel Operations in Oklahoma City. He stumbled into broadcasting at Kansas State University while earning a degree in journalism, doing news at the student radio station. He founded the Association of News Broadcasters of Kansas, later serving as president. His awards include the Investigative Reporter and Editors Award and The Edward R. Murrow Award.

Vicki Clark Gourley is chairman of Nichols Hills Publishing Co. and executive editor of FRIDAY newspaper. She joined FRIDAY in 1974 and served as news editor and managing editor before becoming executive editor in 1980. Civic and volunteer honors include the National Conference of Christian and Jews Humanitarian Award, the JC Penney Golden Rule award and many others. She attended Oklahoma State University.

Jennifer Duffy Gilliland began work at the Oklahoma Press Association in 1984 and has been editor of The Oklahoma Publisher since 1990. A native of Mangum, she attended Southwestern Oklahoma State University before working at The Oklahoman and at Oklahoma County Newspapers in Midwest City. A member of FOI Oklahoma, she was president in 2000.

Jenk Jones Jr. spent 32 years at The Tulsa Tribune in jobs ranging from reporter to editor and publisher. He worked for the Colorado Daily while earning a degree from Colorado University. He worked at The Minneapolis Tribune and The Anchorage Times. He was treasurer and director of the AP Managing Editors’ Association. He taught journalism and political history in universities, served as docent at museums and received the Nature Conservancy’s conservation award.

Jim Langdon comes from an Oklahoma newspaper family. His parents, Francis and Gloria Langdon published The Tonkawa News. After graduating from OU in 1974 he worked for the Norman Transcript. He was associate publisher for The Tonkawa News, taught advertising at OU, managed OPA’s Oklahoma Newspaper Advertising Bureau and was president of American Newspaper Representatives in New York. He founded Langdon Publishing Co. and established Tulsa-People Magazine in 1986.

Danna Sue Walker has written the "People and Places" column in The Tulsa World for 24 years. A native of Tulsa, she graduated from the University of Tulsa. She joined The Tulsa World in 1962 as society editor and left to raise her daughters before returning in 1981 to write the column. She was inducted into the University of Tulsa Communications Hall of Fame in 2005, and received the Bill Crawford Memorial Award for commitment to the arts.

George R. Wilson grew up in a U.S. Air Force family that traveled widely and loved photography. After serving in the Air Force himself, he worked as a photographer for Pipkin Photo. He joined the Oklahoma Journal in 1968, becoming chief photographer in 1971. When that paper closed, he joined The Daily Oklahoman and Oklahoma City Times in 1981 and rose to director of photography before retiring in 2001. He set the standard for fine photography and aggressive news coverage and led the paper's conversion to digital photography in the 1990s.

Fritz W. Wirt worked for five years at The Clinton Daily News and a year at The Oklahoman. He worked for 19 years in Texas at the Temple Daily Telegram, El Paso Times, San Angelo Standard Times, Del Rio News-Herald, Huntsville Item and for Harte-Hanks in Dallas. He returned to his native Stillwater as general manager of the Oklahoma State University student newspaper in 1988. He built the paper into a money-maker and developed a self-supporting Web site.

John V. Young has worn many hats, from sports editor of his hometown Cushing Daily Citizen to United Press International in Dallas where he helped cover the Kennedy assassination. He has been UPI bureau manager in Kansas City, editor of the Sapulpa Daily Herald, news editor for the Tulsa Tribune and assistant news editor at The Tulsa World. He is a graduate of Oklahoma Baptist University.

June 26, 2005


Sue (Braudt) Harriss Diary of Mission to Costa Rica

The Costa Rica Mission Team (16 men, women, & young adults) from University UMC will be leaving Monday morning, June 27, for Alajuela , Costa Rica . We will be spending the first night in-country at Centro Metodista, which is a Methodist Seminary. During the summer they play host to many, many mission teams that arrive in Costa Rica. The next morning will we start our journey to San Isidro where we will stay for the next 7 days. San Isidro is in the central mountain region of Costa Rica . Our project is help build a building for a Costa Rican Methodist congregation in which to hold classes, services, and any other such church related functions.

We are all looking forward to working and worshipping with our fellow Costa Rican Methodists. There is an Internet cafe in San Isidro so my hope is to be able to send out progress reports when I can get to a computer. We arrive in Costa Rica on June 27 and leave July 7.

MONDAY July 4, 2005

We have finished with the work project and will be leaving for Alajuela tomorrow morning. We have a free day in the San Jose area and will be going on a river-rafting excursion. The photo shows the progress that we made with the project.

FRIDAY July 8, 2005

We arrived back in Orange County yesterday afternoon after a fantastic trip. To back up a bit, we left San Isidro Tuesday morning at 9:00am and traveled to Cartago to see the Basilica de Nuestra Senora de los Angeles which is the most famous church in Costa Rica. Stopped for about 40 min. and then traveled to Alajuela to Centro Metodista where we spent the next two nights. We had time to do some shopping in Alajuela that afternoon and had dinner at a nice restaurant downtown. The next day was our excursion day and what a day it was! Costa Rica Expeditions picked us up and took us to breakfast at the Sanchiri Restaurant overlooking the Oroisi Valley. We had breakfast on their outdoor patio and marveled at the wonderful view of the valley with coffee plantations wherever one looked. While at Sanchiri we had the chance to see their Butterfly Farm as well. After that we went whitewater river rafting on a class 2 & 3 river. It was wet, wild and wonderful. The scenery was stunning. Wild rain forest, interspersed with small banana or coffee farms and sugar cane fields. The river rafting company had lunch ready for us when we reached the end of the rafting. There was a place there to shower and change into dry clothes. After lunch we drove to Morovia, which is known for its artisans to do our tourist shopping. I think we satisfied everyone's urge to spend money on tourist stuff. We drove back to CM, had our devotions and then everyone had to pack and get ready for a 4:30am bus pick up to take us to the airport. Our flight took us through Phoenix and then to Orange County and HOME!

I can't say enough about the team and the experience that we had.  It was truly remarkable. We worked hard, met terrific people, had spiritual experiences with our new Costa Rican friends, and played hard. But I think the most satisfying was winning the respect and friendship of the Costa Ricans with whom we came in contact

Top of Page